Author: Arthur Slade Publisher: HarperCollinsCanada
Fiction
"Newton Starker knew he would most likely die from a lightning strike.The bolt would deliver three hundred kilovolts of electricity to the top of his skull, burning his scalp and popping thousands of brain cells like popcorn.Then it would arc along his nervous system, arteries, and veins, frying his heart and lungs."pg.1
I thought Jolted was a good book, but sometimes it got off topic. For example, it goes on and on about kilts, when they could be talking about lightning or Josephine, much more interesting subjects than kilts. I think he's lucky to have such good friends or he never would have survived.
ReplyDeleteKyria
I LOVE this book Jolted because the author had a VERY different style of writing than the other books I have read. When you first read this book it is very exciting but after a while it gets more and more exciting. For example on that stormy day his mother still went outside when she knew if she did there was a chance that she would die. That makes me more willing to read and to find out why she went outside. Unfortunaty in the book it does not tell you why she went outside. Even though the book did not have any pictures I could still picture them like in the race. There where lots of words that described how the forest looked and what happened during the competition.
ReplyDeleteSabrina 5
I agree Kyria it sometimes got off topic and that real anoy me and i agree that he is so LUCKY to have such great and wonderful friends or he would never survive without his fiends
ReplyDeleteVincent 5/6
I think jolted is a very good book but it kinda went off topic like Kyria said when he got the Josephine (the pig). Like when I heard about the pig in my head I was thinking isn't the story about Newton surving.
ReplyDeleteAnthony :v
Like Kyria said it got off topic a lot and that was really annoying! I didn’t “Jolted” a lot, because it was too weird. It wasn’t my type of book because I like books that get to the point! He has really good friends and I don't think he realizes that!
ReplyDeleteSamantha:)
I really liked this book because the author made it seem like Newton and Violet were enimies but, whenever Newton was in the hospital Violet always put a rose in Newton's drinking glass.I also like how Josephine was able to find things like he had a sixth sense.Eric 4
ReplyDeleteHi everyone,
ReplyDeleteThanks for taking the time to read the book and post about it. I had a great time writing this book. There were sooooo many things to research. Plus, I tried out most of the recipes. Not the gopher quiche, of course....
Art
This book was sooo amazing. I was blown away it is my favourite by far. Art, how did you come up with the idea of a faily being attracted by lightning?
ReplyDeleteAdeline
I LOVED LOVED LOVEDDD this book. I loved this book book because there were so many interesting facts a recipes to do. I loved the fact that the Starker family was physically attracted to the lightning even if they did not want to be. I hope Aurthor Slade wrights more books!<3Athena
ReplyDeleteI really enjoyed this book. The way he wrote it was very detailed and so creative that you didn't want to put down the book. I read another book of Aurthur's and he has the same writing style through out his books which is so talented to have more then five books out that are good. Art how do you come up with all these great ideas?
ReplyDeleteAlexx
The only reason i rated this book a 10 was because this was soooo interesting!!! For an example: When it said everyone in Newton's family got strucked by lightning, it got me going and wanting me to read more.Especially, near the ending when they started their expedition,it was very exciting because Newton was using a pig to get through his expedition. For an example, he needed the pig to find the Talisman,when he needed to go back to the rescue for Violet who broke her leg, and he needed the pig to find his way out!!! Unfortunately, he got struck by lightning and survived. It was sooo exciting that I would want to buy this book!!!! BILLY
ReplyDeleteThis book was amazing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I loved the ending, but I won't wright it because it would ruin the ending for people who haven't read or finished the book yet. I just wanted to know what your(Arthur) inspiration was and did you have a person like Violet in your life?
ReplyDeleteJulia 5/6
I didn't really like the books beginning because it started off a little bit slow. I liked it better once it started to get deeper into the story and I found out more about his family. I thought the idea of the family being attracted to lightning interesting. It was sort of a sad book because his mother died, and I felt really sorry for him. The thing is that I thought the pig did most of the work. The pig saved Newton, led him to Violet, helped him in the race and other things. Goodness! What an amount of things to lay on a pig! All in all I liked the book but I still think it could have maybe started off a little better.
ReplyDelete-Aurora
this book is amazing because its very funny near the biging when his pants get knocked down by that girl
ReplyDeletemarc
This book is really sad because mostly everyone in his family(The Starkers) die because of this lightning but he still has 2 people. I also liked this book because he used a pig to get through an expedition like Billy said. This book was also scary too, Newton got struct by lightning, and if you imagine you are in his shoes you would be also really scared because 10 to 120 voltages of lightning is about to hit. Harrison
ReplyDeleteI found this book interesting becuase of the way it was written in a different format. Also I loved the ending but I don't want to spoil it for other people, but I think at some parts it took me a while to get into it.
ReplyDeleteChristine
I think that Jolted was a very good book because it was sad at the beggining and happy at the end.I also thought that it was a good book because it talked about what Newton Starker did at school wich was very interesting.Jacky and Vincent 5 :D;}=_= X_X XD
ReplyDeleteI really enjoyed reading Jolted, unlike what some people said, I think that what the author did with adding all the different topics in one book was to keep you interested, I wouldn't want to read one book on the same topic on and on, I really like how the author added all the conflicts between violet and Newton. This book was really unpredictable and so shocking such as when Newton's great-grandmother got shocked by lightning so sudden when the sky was clear. I rated this book a 10 because of all the descriptive words and how you can viaualize the pictures happening even though there weren't any illustrated in the book. Jenny 6
ReplyDeleteIn the book "Jolted" I liked the character Josephine. It was interesting how she knew what Newton was saying. Also when she found him water in the challenge. Kayleigh
ReplyDelete